[mythtv] Latest 0.21-fixes: mythlcdserver consumes 160MB of memory !?!?!

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 18:16:15 UTC 2008

2008/6/22 Warpme <warpme at o2.pl>:
> Hi,
>
> kormoc, thx for quick replay !
>
> Unfortunately I haven't pmap complied in this system :-(
> Here below is output of cat for /proc/<pid_of_process>/maps
> If it is not helpful enough, I will try add pmap, but as it is diskless
> appliance - adding software is no so easy....
> Or pls hint me how to overcome lack of pmap.
> thx

Well, in short, the memory top reports is also what's called shared,
meaing all those libs (as you can see in your mem map output) are
shared between mythfrontend, mythtv, etc and so while the app is
'using' them, it's shared and reported for all the apps that use
those, meaning top's memory can be very inflated.

pmap does the work to let you know how much is actually being used
only by that application, and I'd venture to guess that it's not that
much no matter what top might say.

Easy way to guesstimate, remove all the lines out of the map file that
are other libs, and you're left with a rather small footprint.

So in short, it's not using that much ram and thus a non-issue :)