[mythtv] Readiness of 0.21-fixes mythfrontend on Win32

Arnon Meshoulam (arnonm) arnonm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 19:20:04 UTC 2008

Some more comments below...

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Nigel Pearson <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au>
wrote:

> Thanks for this list. There were a few that I had forgotten.
>
>  Runtime:
>> - Bug 5212 - Pressing ESC to return to previous menu does not redraw it -
>> High
>>
>>  There was a similar bug in Mac OS for a while.
> Not sure yet, but I think it was related to -r15623
>
>  - Bug 4983, 4873 Segfault when no DB response (either DB is not there or
>> mysql not found)  - High
>>
>> - Bug 4724 - Segfault when trying to save XML configuration - High
>>
>> - Segfault on ssdp.cpp  SSDP::PerformSearch - after applying 17187  - High
>>

> Still a mystery to me, but I suspect the UPnP stuff.

Agreed, did some investigating and it seems that some of the UPnP objects
are not initialized when the DB is not available. Haven't found out why yet.

>  - Bug 4718 - Play local DVD - don't assume that DVD is a forward slash
>>
>>  Just fixed.
>
>  - Bug 5409 - Need to add perl dependency to mythfrontend
>>
>> - Bug 5490 - Perl location needs to be changed
>>
>>  Low priority. Note that MythArchive also uses python.

Agreed, would be nice to re-write some of them as pure front-end back-end,
Mythweather, for example, no reason why backend can't query the data and
store in the database, instead of having FE do it. Would allow us some basic
plugins

>  - Bug 4699 Fullscreen support - - Medium
>>
>>  I'm working on this now.
>
>  - Bug 4984 - default build, etc needs to be modified - High
>>
>>  Fixed.
>
>  - Image Cache removed and cached at eachrun - High
>>
>>  Haven't investigated, but are you sure its removed?

Each FE launch, cache progress bar runs 3 times.

>  - Watch movies: VideoDialog: Couldn't find your theme. I'm outta here
>> (gallery-video-ui)
>>
>>  Have not experienced this one, but it should
> now be fixed by latest win32-packager.pl ?

Will check both of these

>  - Watch recordings: can't find file
>>
>>  Sounds like a backend misconfig error.
> I just got a HDTV recording to start playing!
> (and then the FE hanged when I tried to exit)
>
>  - getloadaverage fails - machines status
>>
>>  Minor, but it only needs a Google to find a Win32 load
> routine to add into programs/mythbackend/httpstatus.cpp
>
>  - Window Caption not displayed correctly
>>
>>  Huh?

Caption on the Windows (as in OS) application often appears as gibberish. I
think I submitted a patch for this. Will check

>  - Mythfrontend - halt now, reboot now.. - Defaults are incorrect
>>
>>  Don't really care, but easy to patch?
>
>> - Running with OpenGL does not display pages correctly
>>
>>  How so? Just refresh issues like 5212?

No, often there is shadowing of the graphics on the side and overlapping of
the text. Could be my laptop, but suspect not.

>  Plugins
>> - Mythmovies - ignyte seg faults
>>
>>  I had to change the config path from ignyte to ignyte.exe,
> but didn't get a crash, just an 100% CPU on ignyte.exe.
> I assumed that was because I tested behind a proxy firewall.

No ignyte hangs indefinitely on Windows. Haven't check why yet.
As for the paths, when we include plugins, I will have the installer
update/modify the default ones on the DB so end user doesn't have to.

>  - weather does not find or run scripts - due to marking them as
>> executables
>>
>>  I can't get this module to do anything
> (always stuck at screen setep page)

Yes, I did a whole set of changes. The plugin will need some modification as
it currently relies on Unix executables to identify what to run. Need to
change to *.exe, cmd, bat, pl for example in various places

>> - weather does not run scripts - nice needs to be replaced with perl
>>
>>  Or /c/msys/1.0/bin/nice.exe needs to be copied to
>
>  - Weather pl scripts missing ppm Date::Manip and ppm install
>> XML::SAX::Base XML::Simple (XML-simple)
>>
>>  Mac OS X (and some Linux distros) have the same problem.
> I have tried a fake install those modules in the package,
> but gave up.

Last two are minor issues, can take care with packager. Lets just get them
logged so we don't forget them.

>  - mythflix - usleep doesn't exist, replace with Sleep
>>
>>  Haven't tried building that. Patch?

Yes, I'll submit that..

>  - mythvideo - shows unknown prefix when first started in browse mode
>>
>>  I don't get that error. Was that because of no videos?

No, I get it with files...

>  - mythweather - update of weather happens on client side, thus requiring
>> perl and libraries - questionable
>>
>>  Moving it to the backend is a good idea
> (and has been discussed before?) but is a lot of work.
>

>  Install:
>> - Scripts are not copied for mythweather- qmake win32 does not support
>> wildstar INCLUDES
>> - Mythvideo installscripts, theme, menu are not copied - qmake win32 does
>> not support wildstar INCLUDES
>>
>>  Should be roughly fixed by latest win32-packager.pl

I also have another (ugly) solution in the pro files, will add when I am in
front of the development machine.

Arnon