[mythtv] Resurrecting MythBrowser after the switch to Qt4

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 16:06:35 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 16:49:01 Chad wrote:
> > If there is any possibility that the QWebPage supports the flash plugin,
> > I'm all for it.  Hulu (for one) works fairly well with Firefox and the
> > plugin and if we could generate a control that could display the embedded
> > Hulu player, that would be a major bonus for Myth, I think.  Since Hulu
> > publishes your shows as an RSS queue like Netflix, I see the integrate
> > being very easy (assuming the Flash support is there)
>
> To further this point, is there any chance that instead of using QT
> for MythBrowser using something like firefox (xulrunner) since it
> appears to be a far more versatile (with plugins etc) option?

Doubtful, maybe as an option, but WebKit will give us a much smoother, better
integrated and nicer product that embedding Firefox, Konqueror or similar.
For the end user Webkit means no additional dependencies such as the KDE libs
which were unpopular with the old mythbrowser.

MythBrowser needs to be something that feels like a part of MythTV, which
means key presses which behave like the do elsewhere, no focus issues and
menus, popups etc which use mythui. Most important of all it must be
optimised for control with a remote on on a (HD) TV display. If you want
Firefox or another browser then you'll always have the option of adding a
menu entry to start firefox, just like you can launch any application from
Myth menus right now.
--
Stuart Morgan