[mythtv] Thanks for multi-rec

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 31 18:58:13 UTC 2008

On 01/31/2008 01:06 PM, Ed W wrote:
>> If disk sizes keep growing at the current rate
> I don't see it growing too fast right now?
>
> 500GB was the biggest I could buy about 3 years back and it's only
> recently that we suddenly saw a jump to 750GB and then 1TB drives (at 3.5").
>
> I think we are pretty close to the point where improvements are rather
> tricky now - I think there may need to be a paradigm shift before we see
> growth continue at previous kinds of rates.  Any evidence that 2TB
> drives are around the corner?  4TB drives in 12 months?

Not necessarily "around the corner," but ...
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Seagate_Swings_%22HAMR%22_To_Increase_Disc_Drive_Densities_By_A_Factor_Of_100&vgnextoid=46e18adc5448d010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

They're looking at releasing HAMR drives by 2010, and doing so should
increase the areal density of HDD platters significantly.  Of course,
last time I mentioned this, I was attacked for believing the media hype
( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/301570#301570 ), so
maybe I'm just too gullible.

Mike