[mythtv] DVD playback - average length of a VOBU? (related to ticket #4492)

Martin Long(myth) mythtv at longhome.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 14:22:51 UTC 2008

> OK, so since we have fixed increments we can jump, that answers the
> other question I had about the seekSpeedMap....why are the values for
> 60x and especially 120x so far out of proportion with the rest of them
> seekSpeedMap values. everything else is a 2.5 or 3 ratio, while those
> two are 4 and 6 ratios. The answer...the seek table gets sparse at
> more than  7.5 seconds, so thats the closest available.

In order to convert between these N second jumps and a speed ratio, you
need to also add a 'jump frequency' to the equation. This would make
virtually any speed ration possible (given limiting factors, eg time to
find and parse each jump table).

eg, using just the 2sec entry in each table

Applying jumps at

1Hz - 2x
2Hz - 4x
3Hz - 6x  etc

Using this logic you could map a combination of jump frequency and jump
size to achieve a much finer granularity of speed differences.

Obviously, choosing shorter jumps and highest jump frequency where
possible would provide the most fluid user experience.