[mythtv] Deinterlacing - Blend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 28 16:58:47 UTC 2008

On 01/28/2008 11:42 AM, Will Tatam wrote:

>  Mark Buechler wrote:
>
> > On 1/27/08, *Will Tatam* wrote:
> >
> >> Why has the Blend option disappeared from the deinterlace option
> >> ? All playback looks awful now without the deinterlacing

You can only use certain deinterlacers with each renderer.  You're
choosing the wrong renderer if you want softblend...

> >> Also the new screen zoom options leaves a thin black bar when
> >> viewing on a 4:3 display (previously the zoom option displayed
> >> correctly as 4:3)
> >>
> >> I know some changes were needed to support all the options
> >> required for some playback of HD content, but the new menu
> >> options are a usability nightmare. e.g "half" or "double" v/s
> >> "16:9 zoom", what on earth is meant by CPU++ CPU-- ??!
> >>
> >> I am not a MythTV newbie, I have been using it since 0.16 and
> >> have never known a new version of myth to go so far backwards in
> >> terms of usability

What new version? Did someone release 0.21 while I wasn't looking?

In other words, if you don't feel like doing the research to figure out
how things work, wait 'til the release so you can use all the help
(docs, HOWTO's, user list, ...) that will be available then.

Not to mention, you never know what might change before the release.

> > You can't please everyone.

Yep.  And, IMHO, we shouldn't try to please people with the -dev
version.  :)

>  Would it not be better to at least name the items so the make sense
>  with out knowing the technical details ? If the payback profile is
>  say designed for HD playback via an NVidia card, call it "NVidia HD"
>  for example. "CPU--" means nothing to anyone but the person who wrote
>  that code

How would you succinctly say something like:

CPU++: Playback profile that uses the most CPU and the least GPU
acceleration of the provided "canned" profiles
CPU+: Playback profile that uses CPU for lower-resolution video and
attempts to use more GPU acceleration for higher-resolution video
CPU--: Playback profile that attempts to use the most GPU acceleration
and the least CPU of the provided "canned" profiles

Besides, if there's anything that discussions of "good names" for things
on this list has proven, it's that there's no name that everyone
considers good.  What makes sense to one is <some other language> to
another.

Mike