[mythtv] an idea from ruby on rails

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Sun Jan 27 20:21:54 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/25/2008 12:45 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>> * On Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 08:51:44AM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> That someone has just been doing too much traveling lately.  I happen to
>>> know he has 2 weeks set aside for working on it from home starting next
>>> week.  :)
>>>
>> Do you know where he :)  is going to put these?  Perhaps there should be a
>> special case "DB Backups" Storage Group as well.
>
> Yep, though I had just called it "Backup".  I guess yours is more
> descriptive (and would prevent users from thinking we somehow squeezed
> their 3TB of recordings into a 200MB file).  And, in the event that the
> user doesn't have a DB Backup storage group, the default storage group
> will be used (meaning the DB backup before the schema upgrade from
> 0.20-0.21 will still work).  Heh.  I actually mentioned the Backup
> storage group way back in September--

Isn't there a bit of a chicken n egg problem here?

The database backup is stored in a storage group,
the location of which is stored in the database.
So when the database is hosed you look in the database
to find the backup....

Stuart (who knows it's not really a problem, just pointing out the
humour of the situation)