[mythtv] mysql 5 bug affecting mythtv

Keith Pyle kpyle at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 18:19:05 UTC 2008

This is just a FYI to the developers since I noted the posting that
mysql 4 support in mythtv would be ending.

We had been running a extremely stable combination of mysql 4.1.22 and
mythtv-0.20.2_p14282. After seeing the notice about myth's plans to
discontinue mysql 4 support, we decided to upgrade mysql to prepare for
future mythtv versions.  With mysql 5.0.44 and the same mythtv version,
we have 1-3 mysqld segfaults per week.  A bug was filed with mysql on
12/27 (#33524, http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=33524) and we have
provided debugging data, but it remains in the "open" state with no
apparent activity since 12/29.

The crashes are during mythfilldatabase runs and always seem to be on
the following SQL command:

INSERT IGNORE INTO credits (chanid, starttime, person, role) SELECT dd_v_program.chanid,
DATE_ADD(starttime, INTERVAL channel.tmoffset MINUTE), person, role FROM
dd_productioncrew, dd_v_program, channel, people WHERE ((dd_productioncrew.programid =
dd_v_program.programid) AND (dd_productioncrew.fullname = people.name)) AND
dd_v_program.chanid = channel.chanid

To achieve some measure of stability, we've had to disable the automatic
mythfilldatabase runs so that we can ensure it does not impact
recordings.  Due to the lack of response to the mysql bug report, we're
seriously considered downgrading to mysql 4.1.