[mythtv] "All Tuners busy" dialog

James Hood ebenblues at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 20:45:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

Has there been a discussion on making the mythfrontend behavior a little
more intuitive when you select "Watch TV" while all tuners are recording?
Today, it pops up a dialog box with a long message (with small font) saying
all tuners are busy and if you want to watch an in-progress recording, you
have to go to the "Watch Recordings" area. It's not very user friendly and
baffled/frustrated my wife the first time she saw it.

When a user selects "Watch TV", it can be assumed that they want to...watch
a show. So what if mythfrontend automatically started displaying the end of
an in-progress recording if all tuners are busy? This brings up some other
questions (I've included my thoughts on them):

1. In a multiple tuner system, which tuner should be selected?
     -This could be configurable or based on priority.
2. What if the user tries to change the channel?
     -You could pop up a dialog saying this show is being recorded and give
them the option of stopping the recording and switching to live TV mode (the
dialog would be written in a more user friendly way than that of course).
3. What happens when you reach the end of the recording?
     -If the recording is being watched as a result of the user selecting
"Watch TV" and not going through the "Watch Recordings" screen, then it
should automatically switch to live TV mode on the same channel.

I'm interested in submitting a patch for this kind of behavior, but wanted
to get a discussion going to determine what the "right" behavior is.

Thanks,
James

--
"The humble learn the fastest because they don't waste time on defending a
false image."