[mythtv] New UI lib

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Jan 22 15:36:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 16:14 +0100, Peter Schade wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
> any news on this?

Basically, the UI libs will be mostly written by the FOSS community
using libplasma + libqt as the base libraries. There was also a
definite contingent for allowing both plasma applets and flash objects.
KDE is planning to add support for gnash to plasma so that should be
possible, but the layout will probably be done using XML.

Assuming they can get the licensing right, Pluto will be contributing
the UI Designer. Pluto thinks it will be able to contribute 7 developers
to the UI Designer, plus maybe sponsor someone to coordinate the
various open source projects. Pluto wants the output of the designer
to be under free licenses (GPL + Creative Commons: Attribution-Share
Alike), and how to do that while still keeping the designer under an
OSS license is still an issue to be resolved. (Using a free license
for the designer is important for getting it included in distros.)

I think I'll create a mailing list and we'll have some basic design
documents going soon. Aaron.b is starting a page on the LinuxMCE wiki
as well.

-- Daniel