[mythtv] Status Question: Is current SVN useable?

Michael Haas laga+mythtv at laga.ath.cx
Tue Jan 22 07:23:50 UTC 2008

Kevin Fox schrieb:
> But, as previously mentioned, if its more stable, has less bugs, then
> why not release it.

Because it still needs testing to make sure it does have less bugs and
that the remaining bugs are not too bad? There are also various areas
which still need some polishing - the polishing a great app like MythTV
deserves.

I run svn trunk (updating every month or so) so I can say that trunk
works reasonably well. But I also help maintain the Ubuntu packages and
I certainly don't want be swamped by bug reports just because upstream
(MythTV) left out the testing they did for previous releases.

> Having
> reasonably current binaries in distro's that track fairly closely to
> development is a much better thing then up to date documentation.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds

Of course, I do agree with the "release early, release often" paradigm.
In my opinion however, that just doesn't mean you should create a svn
checkout every 6 months. There's more to it.

Just my 0.02€,

Michael