[mythtv] Status Question: Is current SVN useable?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 01:12:07 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 1:50 PM, Kevin Fox <Kevin.Fox at pnl.gov> wrote:

> Going to SVN is not always an
> option. I've considered submitting patches, but since I am on the stable
> version, I'm not very encouraged to submit to something that's already
> horribly out of date.

Going to SVN is pretty much always going to be necessary if you want to do
development on MythTV. It doesn't matter whether "official stable" releases
happen monthly or yearly - you're still going to be out of date if you're
not running SVN.

> I'm probably not the only one either. Release
> Early, Release Often(1) has a lot of benefits I think Myth misses out
> from. As far as documentation getting a little out of date, I can live
> with that. I'm use to that from tons of other open source projects.

But MythTV has a lot of users who want to use it as an appliance. For them
accurate, up to date documentation is definitely important.

And consider the developers: releases cause additional work for them, work
that takes them away from regular development.

I don't see why "stabilized svn" releases need to be done by the MythTV
developers themselves. There are some distributions/repositories do this,
e.g. there are pre-0.21 Gentoo packages and ATrpms has a trunk package.
Perhaps you should consider using something like that.

Cheers,
Steve