[mythtv] Channel scanner doesn't always detect callsigns and sometimes misses channels

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Jan 19 14:00:47 UTC 2008

Over the last couple months I've run the channel scanner a number of
times against my HD Homerun, which is hooked up to cable (QAM 256).
Occasionally it will come up with the correct info (channel 1008.203,
callsign NBCHD). However, most of the time it just seems to come up
with the multicast info (ex 102#2 ) with no channel number or
callsign.

If I do a channel scan using the hdhomerun_config utility from the
command line, it correctly picks up the channel numbers and callsigns.
SCANNING: 663000000 (us-cable:102, us-irc:102)
LOCK: qam256 (ss=90 snq=93 seq=100)
PROGRAM: 203: 1008.203 NBCHD
PROGRAM: 204: 1008.204 KBDDT
PROGRAM: 362: 0.0 (encrypted)

In addition, I've also noticed that when it does correctly detect the
channel number and callsign, the scanner also seems to pick up all of
my cable provider's Music Choice channels (48 channels of music, no
video, all on the same multicast). However, when it doesn't get the
correct channel numbers and callsigns, the Music Choice channels don't
get picked up by the scan. Not that I care...I'd just delete them
anyway...but I thought it was worth pointing out.

My questions are:
1) is there something I'm doing wrong, or does this appear to be a
bug? If it's a bug...

2) what is the status of the channel scanner right now...is there any
significant work being done on it, or is it in a pretty stable
condition? If it's stable, then...

3) I wouldn't mind trying to tackle this problem if nobody else is
already working on it. Any pointers on where to start looking (files
or functions) or specific tools/command to help debug it?

4) Finally, while we're on the topic, can anyone explain why the
channel numbers come in as 1008.203 instead of just 203? 203 is the
official channel number listed by my cable provider, and it's also
what my HDTV comes up with when it does a scan. I need to manually
strip off the 1008. before it will match the channel to the guide
data. Is there any reason the channel scanner can't strip this off
automatically? That would certainly make the results more user
friendly.

--
Ron