[mythtv] Status Question: Is current SVN useable?

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:27:37 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 2:19 AM, Reza Naima <reza at reza.net> wrote:
> It's been forever since the last real release of mythtv (other than for
> adding schedules direct support), and thing have been breaking in MythTV
> that have not been address (from my understaning).  For example,
> mythweather.
>
> It seems like there's a lot of work underway for the next release, but
> I'm getting a bit anxious, and my friends vista/media center looks
> really nice.  So my question is :
>
> - is the current svn stable enough to use now?
> - if not, how long till it will be, or how long till the next major
>   release (guesstimation)
> - are there any killer features comming down the pipeline?
>
> I basically need to decide if I'm going to stay with mythtv or jump
> ship.  I've been using MythtTV forever (5+ years), and have been happy,
> but it just seems that media center has caught up, and with their
> plugins (commercial-skip, real-time streaming ala slingbox,
> web-interface), support for Amazon's unbox, and the slated support for
> the HDPC-20 make me really question staying with MythTV...
>
> Thanks,
> Reza
>
> p.s. please CC me directly if possible.

MythWeather was fully rewritten to fix these sort of issues in the
future. It's not that it wasn't addressed, it was in the correct way
that can't be back ported to stable. That's just the nature of
development.

What is current svn? the revision 10 minutes ago or the one 10 minutes
from now? The entire point of svn is it changes all the time, so it's
a crap shoot if it'll be stable enough for you or not. I find it
stable, but as always, ymmv, and only you can decide if it's stable
enough for you.

There's no way to know. It's up to Issac and he hasn't made any public
announcements, and thus, it's all up in the air.

Killer features? Multirec? MythWeb's flash streaming? MythWeb's video
overhaul? new mythweather?

Honestly, I'm not rather happy with the tone of your email. It comes
across as a slightly blackmail style tone. "Help me or else I won't
use your free product!". I really find that tone disrespectful of all
the time and energy people have put into the product that you have
used for 5+ years for free. If media center is better for you, then
fine, but don't try to leverage it for special treatment...