[mythtv] OT: Learning C++ and QT

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 01:32:37 UTC 2008

Hello Devs!

I've been using myth for almost 4 years now... so a veteran I suppose.
 I'm upgrading to SVN Head about once a month, and read the commit
mailing list every day to see everything that's going on.  However,
I've got lots of ideas that I'd like to see find their way into myth
but, being around for a while I've learned the familiar motto: if you
want it, build it yourself.  I don't really have a problem with that,
except for that I haven't been able to "build it myself".

Well, I've finally decided to do something about it and learn C++ and
QT development.  I have a very small background in terms of
programming.  A little bit of experience with Java, and got pretty
good with VB6 several years ago when I was in school.  However, I
never really pursued becoming a developer for a career or hobby.  Now,
I consider myth to be a hobby that I'd like to start giving back to
the community (eventually).

What I'm looking for is any advice you folks might have for a newbie
in this arena.
    - Resources
    - Books
    - Websites
    - IDEs
    - Examples

Etc...

Basically - I've got to start somewhere.  Obviously I'm expecting an
initial learning curve, but I've already got a logical understanding
of programming under my belt (in the windows and web space).

I appreciate any advice you folks can help me out with... maybe
someday down the (hopefully-not-too-distant-road) I can start joining
the ranks of some of you.

Thanks!
Matt