[mythtv] RFC: Alerting in Myth

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Jan 17 01:20:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:11:26AM +1100, Nigel Pearson wrote:
> > Any thoughts on this?
>
> 1) Overall, a good idea.

Ditto.  I have an item in my personal TODO list to look into better
automated or semi-automated handling of channel additions and
deletions when mythfilldatabase runs.  Something like this would be
useful to let the user know when something interesting happened and/or
needs attention.

> 2) There is also the mythtvosd notification mechanism.
>     It'd be good if a menu alert scheme also showed these.
>
> 3) Maybe the themes that have a clock could
>     replace the <clock> with a <notify> widget.
>     If there are no alerts, it would display the time.
>     If there are alerts, it could swap/animate/roll between
>     the time and "2 items require attention"

I'll leave it to you guys more in tune with UI issues to work this
out.  I will add that there is a "Log Entries" tab on the "System
Information" screen.  Perhaps that framework could be used, abused or
extended to fit some of the need.

David
--
David Engel