[mythtv] RFC: Alerting in Myth

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 23:04:32 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 22:55:08 Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2008 22:29:55 Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > I was considering a feature that I wanted to bounce of the list first for
> > comment.
> >
> > The addition of the UI clock on the menu system got me thinking that it
> > would be straightforward to add a graphic/button element that could be
> > added to themes (or even a simple textual one) that could query a
> > database table for outstanding alerts.  If one or more was present, it
> > could display simply: "2 items require attention" on the menu.
>
> I've been planning this feature, or one very similar for a while. Actually
> ever since I added the clock.  (I've ear based people in IRC about it for
> some time). I've even done some of the work towards it, but decided that my
> version required scrolling text so I got sidetracked into implementing that
> first.

Produced this mockup a while ago showing one possible use, for rss alerts:
http://miffteevee.co.uk/imagebin/alert_scroller.png

Not the most important usage, I imagined it displaying information on failed
recordings or lack of listings data etc It could many uses though and with
mythui could optionally appear on every single page, not just the menus.
--
Stuart Morgan