[mythtv] MythBuster: Blockbuster Online clone of MythFlix now possible?

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 23:56:12 UTC 2008

I've been a blockbuster online subscriber since it was basically beta
tested.  However, when the mythflix plugin came out I was relatively
envious of the netflix folks who could manage their queue via RSS.
Blockbuster's RSS feeds were minimal at best, and didn't include any
queue management.  This was the major reasoning behind why only a
Netflix capable plugin was created and why Blockbuster customers were
left in the dark.

However, just for kicks the other day I went in and looked at the RSS
feeds while logged into Blockbuster online and noticed that they have
three new "Personal RSS" feeds that weren't there until recently:
My Queue
My Recent Rentals
My Recommendations

In addition, they have the following non-specific RSS feeds which I
believe are similiar to netflix:
Popular Feeds
BLOCKBUSTER Online Top 100
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top100New Releases
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/newReleaseDaily Top 25 Q Adds
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/queueAdds25 Most Recent Reviews
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/recentReviews
BLOCKBUSTER ONLINE Top 25 by Category
Action & Adventure Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/actionAdventureClassics Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/classicsComedy Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/comedyDocumentary Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/documentaryDrama Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/dramaFamily & Kids Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/familyKidsHorror Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/horrorIndependent Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/independentMystery & Suspense Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/mysterySuspenceTelevision Top 25
http://www.blockbuster.com/rss/top25/television

So - anyway, I'm assuming that with some work it would probably now be
able to create a sister plugin to mythflix for the blockbuster
brethren... I would assume given the naming standard of Netflix it
could be called "MythBuster" - not to be confused with the TV show.

I'm not a developer, unfortunately, but I did briefly browse the
mythflix source on SVN.  Just wondering how much rework would have to
be done to forklift out the netflix specific stuff and dump in the
blockbuster specific stuff.  Any developers (and/or users) in the same
boat out there who'd like to see the blockbuster equivalent?

Thanks!
Matt