[mythtv] Shouldn't MythTV disable the tuner between switching inputs?

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 07:38:25 UTC 2008

--- Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 15:39 -0800, Sam Logen wrote:
>
> > > Turning off the tuner would
> > > introduce a channel
> >
> > What kind of delay are we talking about?  When I
> used
> > the ivtv utility to disable the tuner, it took
> less
> > than a second.  Granted that you'd have to adapt
> the
> > code to be hardware independent.  Can we test the
> code
> > to see just what kind of delay we are talking
> about,
> > and if it is worth it or not?
>
> If it is needed we'll add it, but basically adding
> any
> delay to channel changing is undesirable as people
> already complain about channel changing taking to
> long.
> One second is an eternity if you are channel
> flipping.
> If this is only needed on input changes this is a
> bit
> better.
>
> -- Daniel

Hi, so is this feasable, to disable the tuner before
changing away from the tuner to another input?  I
don't want to add another delay in changing channels
any more than you do.  I'd be glad to test it and tell
you if there's any noticeable speed reduction.

Plus, getting back to my question earlier, are there
any benefits to turning off the tuner when it's not in
use, such as power consumption, etc?  I think that
would be a good selling point for disabling the tuner
when it's not needed.

Take care,
Sam