[mythtv] Best IDE to browse code

hendrixski hendrixski at storsint.com
Thu Jan 10 20:11:05 UTC 2008

David Schmidt wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 9:58 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
>> Matthias Burtscher wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everybody!
>>>
>>> Im white new to C++ but I want to have look at the MythTV code to find out some things about the basic functionality of MythTV.
>>>
>>> What is the best IDE to do that. I just want to view the code, but also have class structure and the functionality of jumping from one point to the other (especially function calls).
>>>
>>> And how can I import all the files in the right structure into the IDE?
>>>

>> kdevelop does a decent job
>>
>> Stuart
>>

> If you have a fairly beefy machine (about 2.75 GHz with 2 Gig RAM),
> Eclipse is the "king" of IDEs, but it sucks gutter water on any less
> than that.
>
> I agree with Stuart that kdevelop is a nice alternative for more
> modest specs....

Yeah, Eclipse is hands down the *best* IDE's in terms of most
wide-ranging functionality.  The price for that is that it gets rather
huge.  Especially if you load a few languages in there like Python, C++,
Ruby, Java, etc. etc. It's like potato-chips.  You can never have just one.

Despite all of my accolades for Java  and Eclipse, I have to say that
for mythtv development,  KDevelop is the best.  In fact, I never got Qt3
to work quite right with Eclipse, but out of box it's there in KDevelop.

--
 - Hendrixski

How to ask questions:
 * Do your homework: google it, search archives from lists and forums
 * Ask on the appropriate list or forum using a meaningful header
 * Be precise, impersonal, to the point, state your goal, and say "please" and "thank you"

How to answer questions:
 * Verify what they're asking about, turn bad questions into good ones
 * Give information, ask if it answers their question.  Rinse & Repeat
 * Not all manuals are created equal! link to your favorite one and say "Read This Fine Manual"