[mythtv] mythvideo DB enhancement

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Jan 9 20:46:28 UTC 2008

* On Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 11:40:51AM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/09/2008 08:58 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> > /myth/rec        <- recordings
> > /myth/rec/thumbs <- thumbnails
> >
> > Is that a bit cleaner?
> > Or is there some SG functionality that we are trying to leverage?
>
> I don't remember what the final decision was on allowing the backend to
> serve files across the network from subdirectories of the Recordings
> directory (now Storage Group directories), but I was thinking Chris
> Pinkham and Isaac didn't want to allow it.  If so, by putting them in
> their own Storage Group, the backend will still be able to send them to

I don't remember, but think that the current filetransfer code would
probably allow grabbing a file from a subdirectory if you issue the
filetransfer request in subdirectroy/filename.png format.  I don't
think I put any particular code in the StorageGroup's FindRecording*()
methods that would prohibit and I don't remember any in MainServer's
filetransfer code.  I think the issue we had was with allowing the
filetransfer code to transfer _any_ readable file.  If a user points
a SG at /etc/ and allows someone to snag their /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow files because they are running mythbackend as root, then
that is their problem. :)  I don't see any reason to not let the
filetransfer stuff send files in the subdirectory/filename format.
Playback/streaming is easy.  When I wrote the SG code, I had playback
working almost as soon as I started, it was the storage scheduling,
GUI, etc. that took 90-95% of the coding time.

--
Chris