[mythtv] Shouldn't MythTV disable the tuner between switching inputs?

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 23:56:48 UTC 2008

--- Sam Logen <starz909 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was talking to someone over on the MythTV users
> list
> about how the current ivtv drivers don't allow
> switching inputs while the tuner is still active.
>
> I learned that this is to prevent corruption in the
> mpeg stream.
>
> I've got a pvr-150, and I'm unable to switch inputs
> from the tuner to a composite source during livetv.
>
> Shouldn't mythtv disable the tuner prior to it
> asking
> for a different input from the driver?  Or would
> that
> break compatibility with other cards?
>
> Sam

Hi everyone, I'd like to bring this issue up again
because, partly, I didn't get a reply the first time,
and second, since some time has gone by, perhaps this
feature has been modified since then.

  Anyhow, when I'm attaching a device to a/v
connectors on a PVR-150, and I'd like to watch Livetv
through that, instead of the tuner, I can't seem to
change my inputs on the card because the tuner isn't
being shut off first (I have programming on the tuner,
so I want to keep that input source).  I'm just asking
if it's not better to have Mythtv shut off the tuner
before switching away from it to a different input.

You can read my original email above, it says
basically the same thing.  I'm just wondering why that
sequence of commands (shutting down the tuner before
switching inputs) hasn't been implemented.  Would it
break compatibility, or is there another reason?

Thanks,
Sam