[mythtv] MythRecipe resurrection

Kevin Wambsganz wambs at verizon.net
Wed Jan 2 04:04:29 UTC 2008

> > Hi,
> >

> > I'm planning to update and enhance the old MythRecipe plugin that I have
> the
> > source to. I got the program to compile and some basic functionality is
> > working. But there is a lot to do!
> >

> > My wife has a lot of recipes that I would like to import into Myth. This
> and
> > the fact that we like and use MythTv every day. We like to do our part
> and
> > add to MythTv. I also plan to add a web interface for MythRecipe as
> well. I
> > also would like to have MythRecipe included as an official plugin once
> the
> > development is done. I would also like to have a touch screen interface
> work
> > well with MythRecipe, because we have a couple of them, especially one
> in
> > the kitchen.
> >

> Excellent!!  Until a combination of the PVR-350/new kernel/Myth RPMs
> incompatibility and some (non computer related) issues derailed it, I
> was largely hoping to do exactly that as well.
>

> > So, I have the following questions for the MythTv community:
> >

> > Is there interest for this MythRecipe?
>
> Absolutely!!
>
> > Is anyone working on this already?
>
> Just really high level UI design/feature thoughts so far, I'm afraid.
>
> > Are there any existing MyhtRecipe users out there? What do you like or
> > dislike about the existing program?
>
> It feels to me like it doesn't leverage that it's part of a great
> product like Myth.  It's just kind of "there."
>
> > For MythTV users, what kind of things would you want in a Recipe
> program?
> > What do I need to get working for the Recipe program to be included in
> the
> > official plugins?
> > Any other comments (constructive) are welcome!
>
> Well, I had huge hopes and I may be the only one who would consider them
> "cool."
>
> I pictured a recipe including the precise steps to make something and
> the expected time to do them, like:
>
> Jalapeno beef tips:  scale 4 servings
>
> 1.  Trim and cube     1 1/4 lb round steak     10 minutes
> 2.  Heat in pan          1 TBSP oil                    2 minutes
> 3.  Saute' beef                                               3
> minutes      dependencies:1,2
> 4.  Add                      1 cup salsa
>          dependencies:3
> 5.  Drop heat and simmer                              10 minutes
> dependencies:4
>
> Then, I saw two separate plugins.  A MythWeb one for maintaining
> recipes as well as "playlists" of planned meals where you pick all
> things to be made simultaneously and the time they needed to be ready.
>
> Then, the frontend plugin could call up the playlist, give you the
> first instruction, then "background" itself back to the main menu.
> [...]

Thanks for the ideals!!

That's sound pretty cool all right. Its sounds like a PIP type of interface.

You have the main view, Recipe visible, and in the PIP, you have music or a
video up. You could swap between them, just like PIP. When you're ready for
the next cooking step, you just hit the PIP button, and the video and the
recipe swap. That would be really neat. The video/TV system does this, but I
don't know if it be extended to other plugins. Maybe that's a future
enhancement!!

For the web interface, I would like a similar type of recipe stuff to be
available as what's in the myth interface. Because you might be anywhere,
maybe a friends house and what to show/cook a recipe that's on your Myth
system. Or maybe add one to Myth recipe as well.

Kevin