[mythtv] Patch to autodetect 4:3 Zoom aspect ratio

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:15:19 UTC 2008

On 2/26/08, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Although it's not perfect. It *seems* (haven't played enough, and it's
> time for bed...) that the case where the channel logo partially covers
> the black bar it fails to detect that it's letterboxed.

Okay, I tried a couple more videos and you were right, Marten (please
forgive my spelling, I don't know how to enter the correct "a")

The detection does not get fooled by the channel logo, nor the rating
logo (that is, the giant "PG", "G", etc) up the top left corner.
Excellent!

But it's still not detecting properly for some recordings. In my case,
an episode of Stargate Atlantis stays in "Off" mode, but then switches
during the commercial break when the commercials are letterboxed. And
on an episode of The Office it keeps jumping back and forth during the
episode.

The bars on The Office look (to me) about as dark as other shows that
don't have a problem. Stargate's boxes are a little lighter, but I
didn't think they were *that* much lighter ... they're still darker
than the "black0" pillarbox colour.

When I get a chance I'll try digging into the code a bit more. Alas,
my free time is often very limited. I *may* get a chance this
weekend....

But, on a positive note, when it does work correctly it's a great feature :)

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent