[mythtv] Mythtranscode "Deadlock detected" errors/ Lossless Transcodes Fail

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 05:51:03 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I've been struggling lately with some issues with mythtranscode and firewire
recordings.  Namely, attempting any sort of lossless commercial cut results
in a "Deadlock detected. One buffer is full when the other is empty!
Aborting."  After some studying of the TRAC bug list, both of these tickets
appear to be identical:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2077
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3274

I have amended both tickets with links to dd'ed 5 MB excerpts from my
firewire recordings.  If this is insufficient, I will happily uploaded
larger samples.  I note that the #2077 has been open and untouched for two
years.  If this is because of a technical limitation that prevents it from
being fixed, I completely understand, but if it is because of lack of
information or any sort of neglect on the part of the ticket opener or user,
I will happily provide any and all information necessary to solve the issue.
 Please just let me know what I can do to help assist in troubleshooting
this problem.  I will also happily apply and test any patches necessary.

This issue affects both firewire and DVB users, and appears to spring from a
slightly "broken" MPEG-2 stream.  In looking at the streams with ProjectX,
my admittedly uneducated impression is that it considers each PTS timecode
invalid, resulting in the GOP associated with it being thrown out.  As such,
the timecode is constantly reset to 00:00:00 as it moves through the file,
until it reaches the end.  I don't know whether this is germane to the issue
with mythtranscode, which fails immediately.

Please let me know what I can do to help, and thanks.

Robert McNamara