[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r19449 by danielk

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 25 23:33:41 UTC 2008

'Twas brillig, and Janne Grunau at 25/12/08 01:30 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thursday 25 December 2008 01:59:29 Andreas wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 24. Dezember 2008 12:28:24 schrieb Colin Guthrie:
>>> Dunno if it's being entertained at the moment and it doesn't really
>>> fit in with the rest of the audio stack in myth but is it worth
>>> considering using phonon for this now that things are Qt4 based?
>> I can't speak for the developers, but I would prefer not to have yet
>> another dependency, in this case on the kde4 libs.
>
> I don't think anyone wants a new kde* dependency especiall after getting rid
> of it with the new qtwebkit mythbrowser. But Phonon is since Qt4.4 a Qt
> module: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/phonon.html
>
> I don't think we will use phonon but our internal libavcodec.

That's fair enough :)

For the record, as Erik mentioned, I wouldn't expect this should add a
KDE dependancy at all, but rather just the default Qt/Phonon install.
Although the Xine backend for Phonon is KDE based, the Gstreamer backend
is slightly more lightweight and was the official one pushed by Qt.

Sadly, as Erik noted, it's not had much love and I think this is one are
where Trolltech need to step in a bit and try and promote a non-KDE
based phonon backend some more. I certainly wish the KDE folk had not
developed the xine backend in KDE4 and concentrated on making a backend
that all Qt4 apps could use, but such is the way of things.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
myth(at)colin.guthr.ie