[mythtv] Tivo Style Ratings System (Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Dec 25 23:04:11 UTC 2008

On Dec 25, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Mister Horrible wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've read through the archives a bit and I know this conversation
> has come up before, seemingly quite some time ago, on this mailing
> list.
>
> I've been a MythTV convert from Tivo for about a year now, however I
> miss the user rating and automatic suggestion recording feature in
> Tivo.  For those who aren't familiar with the feature, the Tivo,
> using these ratings, would find shows that it'd think you'd like.
> It'd automatically record those shows if it wasn't doing anything
> else and if you had enough disk space left on the system.  I
> believe, but do not know for sure, that it picked the shows based
> off of aggregated data from users.  It'd find users who had similar
> tastes to yours and then look for differences between what the users
> were recording and make it's suggestions.  If it came up with a
> suggestion you didn't like, you gave it a thumbs down and it
> wouldn't bother you about it anymore.
>
> First, is anyone working on this right now?  I'd love to help out in
> some way if someone is.

You should check out Brad Templeton's work here:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/myth/tvwish.html

He already has what I consider to be a fully functional mechanism for
getting programs I like to record for me. The only enhancement I would
recommend is the ability to create and publish critic lists directly
within MythTV.

Also, any further discussion should be on the -users list. Devs don't
need to be bothered by it.

-Brad