[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r19392 - in trunk/mythtv by nigel

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Dec 19 20:22:59 UTC 2008

Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> says:
> Other than recording, the other use of NVR is mythtranscode.  With
> the proliferation of bigger hard drives, this is probably declining
> as well though.  That's one of the reasons I haven't been as
> motivated to finish working on my patch that enables use of any
> libavcodec codec and libavformat container inside NVR.

Speaking from self-interest, I hope you do continue the work. Despite
rapidly-growing hard-drive capacities and rapidly-shrinking h.264
recording sizes, there's still a need for transcoding. As you note, if
nothing else there's a need for transcoding to cut commercials out of
recordings. Your work would also fix the longstanding inability to
retain 5.1 audio tracks when non-losslessly transcoding. Finally, I'm
still hoping lossless transcoding of FireWire MPEG2
recordings--something broken for the entirety of the three years my
MythTV setup's existed--gets fixed one of these days.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array