[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r19392 - in trunk/mythtv by nigel

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Thu Dec 18 17:20:14 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008 13:11:53 Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008 11:45:40 Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> > > Only add libmp3lame where it is used (NuppleViderRecorder).
> >
> > Perhaps we should look into making the whole software encoder optional
> > with the proliferation of digital broadcasting?

They are already kind of optional. Try ./configure --disable-v4l. It has the
unintended side effect of disabling support for hardware encoders and still
links against lame.

> Framegrabbers are a dying breed for the most part, although there is no
> suggestion that we should stop supporting them just yet I don't see any
> harm in now making it an optional thing so packagers might be able to
> ship MythTV in official repos.

The reasons for not shipping lame in the official repos are also valid for
most codecs in our libavcodec copy. Removing the lame dependency would only
trick distributions into shipping something they don't want to ship.

Janne