[mythtv] MythFlix Perl script & user credentials storage

Kevin K mythtv at oracleguy.net
Wed Dec 10 05:29:45 UTC 2008

I have been working on developing the settings pages for MythFlix so that
users can configure the plugin without having to manually execute a perl
script at the command line and have to manually insert rows into the MySQL
database. This is my first experience in developing code for MythTV and it
has been interesting so far.

The question I have however is that the netflix.pl script that comes with
MythFlix stores the user's login information by submitting the login form on
Netflix's website with the "Remember Me" option set and stores the cookie in
the home folder for the account running the script. Then as long as the user
running MythTV has that cookie saved, the plugin will be able to modify the
queue. It seems once you have the URL's for the RSS feeds, the cookie
doesn't matter (which makes sense).

However this brings me to writing the settings pages for the plugin. The
user will have to provide their username and password and my question is if
I should store that in the database and modify the perl script to either not
save the cookie or only login if needed. Or should I make it so that if the
user wants to regenerate the cookie because it has expired or because MythTV
is now running under a different user, they would have to re-enter their
password and press a button or something.

Obviously storing the password in clear text in the database could be a
security issue so that is why I wanted to get some feedback from other
developers on how I should design it.