[mythtv] VDPAU Failure with Intel chipset/driver

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Dec 7 01:16:16 UTC 2008

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 12:31 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Fedora 8, SVN trunk, 19228 last night.
>>
>> The mythbox has an on-board Intel 945GM video chipset and it has been
>> quite comfortable running driver xf86-video-intel-2.5.1 against SVN
>> trunk 18408.
>> But 'upgrading' to SVN 19228 is a failure.
>
> <snip>
> I can't test 2.5.1 here, but I'll can test 2.4.3 on a family member's
> computer with Intel Q35 graphics sometime in the next week. If I can
> reproduce this, I'll try to fix it.

Good! And good luck. Since there is no error message logged. As noted,
the only thing is the '/dev/nvidiavideosync device missing' error (can't
remember the exact device name, but since it does not exist, that's not
much of problem: whatever is missing, will not turn up!).

And, as noted, analog plays, but digital does not, so it probably
relates to differences in mpeg2 versus moeg4 decoding, and how that
changed from say SVN 18408 (actually it might have been 18468...but it
was 2 schema updates prior to 19110...which is broken.

Since I have 400+Gig of recordings, I don't want to dump the database
and do a downgrade...Thankfully I can make it to Monday when my cable
arrives and I can install the nvidia driver and new card...Crossing
fingers, legs, toes and eyes!

Apropos of nothing, are there any scripts around which would downgrade
the mythconverg database? It should be possible, even if slightly complex.

Geoff