[mythtv] VDPAU Failure with Intel chipset/driver

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 4 17:31:46 UTC 2008

Fedora 8, SVN trunk, 19228 last night.

The mythbox has an on-board Intel 945GM video chipset and it has been
quite comfortable running driver xf86-video-intel-2.5.1 against SVN
trunk 18408.
But 'upgrading' to SVN 19228 is a failure.

Basically, no matter what playback parameters I set, I can play Standard
Definition analog, but any attempt to play digital content (whether NTSC
sized or High Def results in a segfault.

The mythfrontend log using -v playback always ends with:

nVidiaVideoSync: Could not open device /dev/nVideaVideoSync, No such
file or directory

There are no (post VDPAU) references to this failure. Previous reported
failures were often followed by:

DRMVideoSync: Could not open device /dev/dri/card0, No such file or
directory

But in my case, xorg.0.log reports that dri is loaded and that /dev/dri
is found. And /dev/dri/card0 does exist.

The weird thing here being, of course, that I am running an Intel
driver, and everything remotely related to nvidia-specific setup is
disabled (anything opengl etc, is explicitly disabled in configure.)

For those not aware, you cannot attempt to enable vdpau unless you are
running the nvidia driver (at 180+ I presume). Configure chokes.

And of course, the selected digital clips play nicely in mplayer. And
make distclean was sprinkled throughout in the hope that it might make a
difference. But not...

This is, I think, a logic bug in the code in vsync.cpp which is where
the last reported log statement originates. But the code is...complex.

Has anyone else had a problem with recent SVN code, running a different
chipset and driver?

Geoff