[mythtv] Live transcode while recording

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 10:45:30 UTC 2008

>> The link indicates that they were at the time not officially accepted
>> into the developer program. It also indicates that the software isn't
>> ready. When the software is ready, it will be submitted and then
>> included in the App Store. That's the way it works. When you have
>> software that is ready, you submit it and they put it in the store
>> fore you. None of this is on topic.

That's not entirely accurate. Apple tends to deny things for no
apparent reason... but the basic concept is correct.

> I don't think it is the right thread to discuss any streaming
> possibilities for the iphone, at least it is not the purpose i wrote to
> this list.
> I would like to give the mythbackend the ability to stream livetv (and
> later recordings) over my internet connection. To do this, i need to
> transcode the stream. I don't want to care too much about the client for
> now. Especially not about the iphone as i have Windows, Linux and Win.
> Mobile clients and i know it will work on them (Oh, i love this
> sentence.. it somehow fits in every discussion about the iphone ;) ).
> As soon as the transcoding works, we could implement an http server and
> use the user-agent to decide on the format to stream. But for now i'm
> working on the transcoding and if someone has some information about the
> libmythavformat and libmythavcodec that would be great :)

Now, I ponder, have you tried using the flash player in mythweb? I am
streaming an episode of SNL from my backend at home to my pc at work
right now with limited issue (well, the backend is a 2.4ghz P4, so
there's a LOT of waiting for the buffer to fill.... but that's another
issue easily solved with a new CPU/MoBo) Maybe you could contribute
your services to making that more stable instead of reinventing the
wheel and trying to implement an HTTP server in myth? It seems to me
apache does the job better than virtually anything else you would be
able to write, and is secure.

~Jon