[mythtv] Live transcode while recording

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 00:26:46 UTC 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:19 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
>
>> I understand the "live-tv is worthless to me" part. It seems to be a
>> though that many mythtv users have. However, an iPhone frontend is a
>> little different. With it, I could watch live tv anywhere in the
>> world
>> with my iPhone and wifi or 3G connection. That means in the car on
>> long trips, or at a location without the channels I have. For
>> example,
>> I may be at a relative's residence when I want to watch an NFL game
>> on
>> the NFL network. If I have subscribed to it at home I will still be
>> able to watch it if my relatives do not have it.
>>
>> Of course not everyone will find it useful, but I believe there are
>> some others out there who would be interested in an iPhone frontend.
>> And remember, you don't get commercial skipping or variable playback
>> speed if you don't have a frontend app.
>
> You don't get commercial skipping or variable playback speed with
> LiveTV in a full frontend, either.

Of course you don't get commercial skipping or playback speed with
live tv, but you can get it with your recordings. I don't ever cut out
commercials from my recordings cause they are sometimes incorrect. I
just want the video player to skip over them or notify me at each
commercial break. You can't do that with the iPhone's built in video
player.

> To bring a little bit of positive value to this post, consider that
> Slingbox has a proof of concept player for iPhone/iPod Touch and keep
> threatening to release it "soon". Looking into how they are doing it
> might lend some insight.

At the beginning of my posts on this thread I mentioned that Orb Live
already does exactly this using ffmpeg. I don't have their source
code, and I haven't tried their product. I doubt they have modified
ffmpeg for the iPhone since the iPhone is just another armv6 arch
device, and to non-apple developers, without hw decoding support.

Like I previously stated, I already have video playback (though not
yet audio) on the device using ffmpeg with reasonable quality.