[mythtv] Live transcode while recording

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 1 23:19:18 UTC 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:

> I understand the "live-tv is worthless to me" part. It seems to be a
> though that many mythtv users have. However, an iPhone frontend is a
> little different. With it, I could watch live tv anywhere in the world
> with my iPhone and wifi or 3G connection. That means in the car on
> long trips, or at a location without the channels I have. For example,
> I may be at a relative's residence when I want to watch an NFL game on
> the NFL network. If I have subscribed to it at home I will still be
> able to watch it if my relatives do not have it.
>
> Of course not everyone will find it useful, but I believe there are
> some others out there who would be interested in an iPhone frontend.
> And remember, you don't get commercial skipping or variable playback
> speed if you don't have a frontend app.

You don't get commercial skipping or variable playback speed with
LiveTV in a full frontend, either.

To bring a little bit of positive value to this post, consider that
Slingbox has a proof of concept player for iPhone/iPod Touch and keep
threatening to release it "soon". Looking into how they are doing it
might lend some insight.

-Brad