[mythtv] How to join the mythTV team?

Don Smith dcsmith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 14:57:47 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Modi <jaymode at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 4:09 PM
To: Development of mythtv <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv] How to join the mythTV team?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 6:55 AM, John J.H. van Timmeren <vantimmeren at gmail.com> wrote:

I would like to join you guys in developing mythTV by programming and improving the manual. I'm a experienced programmer in Java and C# on windows platforms. My C/C++ skills are a little outdated, but a little reading will fix that. What would be the best way to get started coding, testing and running mythtv? Are there instructions about this?

There are not really any instructions that I know of. Best bet is to checkout the source make and then install it. Installing it yourself will help with manual improvements. Once you have it setup, then I would maybe start looking through some bugs and seeing if you can reproduce and then start debugging and hacking away.

About the manual: I think its important to have a good manual and documentation to get a larger end-user and developer-base, the more people use MythTV and help maintain the code and skins the longer the project will grow and stay alive.

Agreed. There is a manual here:
http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall

Although, the last time I used it, it seemed like it could use a refresh.