[mythtv] MythUI porting

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 19 22:18:39 UTC 2008

buzz wrote:
>     ...Australians, ... use English, yet they aren't ... upset about
>     which flag is used.
>

> FYI - In Australia , it's universally agreed ( or near enough ) that
> 'British English' is "more correct" than "American English" (as it
> applies to our usage), and thus those that care (and know how to) will
> change their dictionary/thesaurus/etc to use the former.
>
> If you started using anything but the Union Jack/Flag as a
> representation of non-American/British English, most Australian's won't
> actually understand why.   Please don't be offended, but till I just
> googled it 2 minutes ago, I've never heard of the "St Georges Cross", sorry.

Yup, that's the other point I wanted to make originally too but forgot.

I think using the St Georges cross flag is a mistake for this reason.
It's meant to be symbolic of the language and it just doesn't work for
that purpose.

There are several variations of English: i.e. British English (original
and best!), Australian English, American English etc. To represent these
by the British, Australian and American flags respectively makes most
logical sense. I guess if there was a French Canadian variant then you'd
use a composite of the Canadian and French flags to symbolise this.

And if I wear my heart on my sleeve, why should the flag of England be
used when the all of the nations of Great Britain have sculpted the
language to what is the currently accepted "British English" form today?
It seems somewhat disrespectful of the contributions made by the rest of
us (not me personally... I seem to mangle the language in some pretty
bizarre ways sometimes....)

But hey, they are your themes and therefore your choice :)

Col