[mythtv] mythtv-dev Digest, Vol 66, Issue 19

John Barberio barberio at lineone.net
Tue Aug 19 13:25:07 UTC 2008

On 19 Aug 2008, at 13:00, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> This isn't about what countries use the English language, it's a
> visual
> representation of the languages origin - Language selection vs Country
> selection. Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders and at least a
> dozen other
> countries, some who are not even in the Commonwealth, use English,
> yet they
> aren't part of the UK but I don't forsee them getting upset about
> which flag
> is used.

However, I think you've accidently made the point that we *should* use
the Union flag for British English/Commonwealth English. If you check
the flags of the countries in the commonwealth, you'll find they have
the Union flag inset in quite a few.

The Union flag is more recognisable as an icon internationally, and
the Union flag is better associated with Commonwealth nations and the
common British English language used in them.

Note, 'British English', does not originate from England. You actually
get this quite wrong. American English is closer to the original
English[1] than British English, which has been altered by
Commonwealth and Union additions to the language. British English's
origin is from the Union and the Commonwealth.

   - Jay

[1] Aside from changes introduced during standardisation of spelling.