[mythtv] R5000 initialization failed

Michael Norton list-mythtv-dev at nospam.mnorton.com
Mon Aug 4 02:27:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Alan Nisota <alannisota at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately 'anyone' probably means just me, and basically I won't
> have any time to work on the R5000 stuff during this summer.

Well, that's totally understandable. Thanks for the reply.

I'll continue responding to the rest of your points, just in case
there happens to be someone else out there running into the same issue
as me.

> a) you must get r5ktest working before trying Myth

Indeed, I actually haven't even attempted to use it in Myth yet. The
problem has been happening when I do "r5ktest -t dsr -m READ_STREAM".

> b) start by running as root to make sure you have access to write to the
> USB port.

Yes.

> c) make sure you are using a USB2 port

I must admit I did make that mistake initially. But switching to a USB
2 port didn't improve the results, unfortunately.

> d) while it has nothing to do with the initialization, you would need to
> specify which STB you have, since only a small set ave been tested to
> work properly.

It's a Motorola DSR505 (Star Choice) box.

> But mostly you'll be on your own for the next couple of months.  If you
> send specific questions, I'll try to help as best I can, but I can't
> promise much.

I'll continue poking with it. My frontend box is not fast enough to
play the content from the R5000 anyway. I'm just experimenting with it
for now until I buy new frontend hardware -- which is at least several
months away.

-mn