[mythtv] mythtv 0.21 on armel architecture

Andreas Bach Aaen usenet at bachaaen.dk
Thu Apr 3 19:59:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have used the source for mythtv 0.21 and tried to compile it on a
Debian unstable installation on a Linkstation PRO LS-500 (a NAS
device). This uses the armel architecture and hence more bugs can be
expected in the compiler than on x86.

I have found only very few bugs during this recompilation:

In the the file mythtv-0.21/libs/libavcodec/libavcodec.pro
it expects to find the file mpegvideo_armv5te.S, but
mpegvideo_armv5te.c is the one to use. So no assembler but a c-file
instead.

libs/libmythtv/dbcheck.cpp
This file gives me an out-of memory when compiling. Either you need
HUGE amounts of ram or this is a compiler bug on gcc for armel.
If you compile it with -O1 instead of -O3 then it compiles fine

libs/libmythtv/mpeg/iso639.cpp
This file ends up in a gcc crash - that a compiler bug should be
reported. Again a workarround is to lower the optimizer to -O1 - and
then you can this file compiled and get mythtv up and running.

How can I twist the .pro makefiles to set the compile flags to some
thing special for the above two files?

I have used gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 20080114 (prerelease) (Debian 4.2.2-7)
and mythtv_0.21-0.2. (Mythtv is picked from the Debian multimedia
source package).

Kind Regards,
Andreas Bach Aaen
--