[mythtv] Proposed work on MythVideo - Re-tool video-manager for large libraries, Add the concept of a 'series'

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 15:55:05 UTC 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007 15:41:52 San Mehat wrote:
> So is Xbox Media Center going to be accepted by the Myth community as a
> built in replacement for MythVideo? No offence, but I'd rather make sure
> that something like XBMC is going to be the supported replacement for
> MythVideo before I abandon my work on MythVideo.
>
> So my new question is.. 'Is XBMC going to officially replace MythVideo?'

I think most of the developers prefer a properly integrated solution with a
consistent look, feel and behaviour to MythTV. So no, I very much doubt that
will ever happen.

At the moment a lot of effort is being made to better integrate various parts
of mythtv and the few external tools that it uses. It would be a step
backwards to start abandoning parts of mythtv in favour of a mixture of
applications stuck together with paste and odd lengths of string.

Lots of people complain about the usability of things like MythVideo and how
another application does it better, but few of them are prepared to make the
changes themselves. It's like the crowd at a sports match shouting
instructions at their team, ineffective and annoying. If you think you can
improve things then come and play instead of shouting from the sidelines.
--
Stuart Morgan