[mythtv] Mutirec integration into trunk...

Preston Crow pc-mythtv07a at crowcastle.net
Fri Sep 21 18:09:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 10:59 -0700, Rob Smith wrote:
> On 9/21/07, Preston Crow <pc-mythtv07a at crowcastle.net> wrote:
> > And while we're asking, my understanding is that this only allows
> > overlapping recordings on DVB cards, not tuners like the PVR-250 and
> > HD-HomeRun.  Is there any plan to add that portion for those cards?
>
> The PVR-250 and friends are analog tuners, and they only tune one
> channel at a time. You will never get multi-record from those cards.

My understanding was that there was an interesting side effect of the
multi-record code.  If you have two back-to-back shows on the same
channel, you can record both on the same DVB tuner, and pad both so that
they overlap.  To get this advantage with non-DVB cards, you could
pretend that they're DVB cards that only happen to have one subchannel
per channel.

So you can't record two different channels on a PVR-250 at a time, but
you can record the same channel twice from a PVR-250 at once.  [Again,
very nice for back-to-back shows on the same channel.]