[mythtv] Default duplicate check method

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 16:49:06 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 17:08:36 Otto Kolsi wrote:
> I've also modified both myth code and MythWeb to have "Description" as a
> default. By default in here we don't have subtitles at all and thus this
> is the best default for me. Like Martin said, it would be very useful to
> be able to set various defaults that are used.

Subtitle then Description would work just as well in this case.

I'd forgotten that "Subtitle then Description" was made the default when it
was introduced and that due to complaints it was switched back. I think the
decision to switch back was made too quickly (there is resistance to all
change). I'll accept that even though I think the method is superior,
convincing people of that might be difficult.

It comes down to an argument over incorrect positive and negative matches. If
you have excess disk space and several tuners, then you might not mind
recording lots of duplicates if it means you never miss an episode. If you
are short on disk space or tuners you probably don't want to record any
duplicates, because you will lose recordings to the auto-expirer or
conflicts.

I'm coming around to the idea that instead of changing the default, we could
just remember the preferred setting. My dilemma is that I dislike adding new
settings, IMHO there are already too many. We could instead just remember
the 'last used' setting as in most cases people won't be changing the method
that often.

Otherwise, we just have to wait (again) until someone can figure out a better
solution.
--
Stuart Morgan