[mythtv] first contribution

hendrixski hendrixski at storsint.com
Sun Sep 16 02:19:15 UTC 2007

How many of you remember the first time you got involved with an open
source project?

I've been trying to get into programing for mythtv for a while, but
either got sidetracked (with things like learning Ubuntu packaging, or
vim, etc.) or I would get discouraged from the lack of documentation in
the code.

So I want to walk through the process by first submitting a doxygen
patch.  I figured I'll finally force myself to learn a bit about the
code, and Qt, and expose me to the process of how patches get submitted
and accepted.  My understanding is that I submit the patch to trac the
same way I would submit a bug?

Would mythThemedMenu be an OK place to start?  It seems to have a lot of
stuff that's key to understanding how other parts of the code get called
when a user clicks on stuff in the frontend.  Which is kind of
interesting, wouldn't you say?

Plus, I learned on #mythtv today some of the tools for skipping around
code in Linux, like the find command, and how vim actually jumps to some
classes via ctags. I'll get to practice that! It's still slow as balls
compared to just hovering your mouse over some code in Eclipse and have
a tooltip show you the comments from that method... but I'm still glad
to try it out the old fashioned way.

Are there any other tips or tricks you guys would recommend?  Or things
I should know before getting started?