[mythtv] Parental Controls and MythVideo

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 01:18:42 UTC 2007

On 9/15/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 17:08 -0700, Doug Young wrote:
>
> > Daniel...can you tell me what, if anything, got done for the SoC
> > project Mike mentioned.  I'm considering tackling this mostly because
> > I run a large, diverse household (ie, one of the target audiences).
> > My key usage points are that it has to be -extremely- invisible day to
> > day (I almost lost the WAF battle when the tv started coming up in a
> > menu instead of booting to live...don't even want to think about
> > having to make her log in!), but powerful enough to be useful.  Not
> > sure how to approach that, so was looking for some pointers.
>
> There is a list of TODO's in the last comment on the merge
> ticket, #2532.
>
> The branch also needs to be brought up to date with the current
> trunk. In addition to the TODO's there are usability issues, but
> the basic account handling is there except for the seven issues
> mentioned in the TODO.
>
> If you are really going to spend some time on this I'll get the
> branch updated with the changes in trunk for you, so it will be
> easier for you to work on this. Your household sounds like the
> ideal testbed for improving usability.
>
> -- Daniel

OK...looked through 2532, and there's comments there about what remains to
be done, but not a whole lot on exactly what is currently been done.

I guess the best place to start would be to bring the branch up to the
trunk, then I can diff the codeline, see what's been done, look at the TODO
list at the end there, and go from there.

Hopefully I can get it stable and invisible enough to make mainline code.
Yes, I guess that means I'm tackling this.  My household -is- the perfect
testbed, and since I have a significant background in multi-user
authentication and authorization systems I'm pretty sure I can handle
multi-user TV's.
--
Doug