[mythtv] Backend AutoDiscovery

spam spam at sma2.rain.com
Sat Sep 15 03:35:06 UTC 2007

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Fri Sep 14, 2007 at 04:51:41PM +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>
>> That'll be exactly why we are looking towards a small embedded DB.
>>

> A cached copy of data is fine, but I don't like the idea of having to
> backup each frontend's settings from their own individual database
> stored on the (perhaps diskless) frontend itself.  Rebuilding or
> replacing a frontend would mean I'd have to backup these settings and
> restore them.  There are reasons not to go with local (primary) storage
> of settings.
>
> Are there any other reasons for going with a local settings DB other
> than being able to detach a frontend?
>
> --
> Chris

   The current "remote xterm" like mode of mythtv is a major feature of
it's success. I don't think local databases are a good idea when the
front-end is a laptop on my kids floor. I also think moving from a SQL
"mysql etc..." database model to a embedded DB would also be a bad move.
Why duplicate the effort of many who have taken years to produce a
stable platform for data storage. With quad processors and 10G
networking speeds it won't be any faster.

  My 2cents worth.