[mythtv] Default duplicate check method

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 21:04:50 UTC 2007

At least here in the UK with any of the available guide data
sources, "Subtitle then Description" would produce much better results
than "Subtitle & Description". I don't assume that the default should change
just because it would make things easier for those of us in the UK, so I'd
like to discuss what this change would mean for most MythTV users.

The behaviour of "Subtitle then Description" seems to better fit with the
normal usage of the subtitle field (unique episode naming). Does anyone see
the subtitles in their guide data being re-used for different episodes? I'm
not saying that it doesn't happen at all, but does it happen for more than a
handful of series?

Although subtitles will usually remain constant, repeat showings might have a
differing description because it was written by a different person, at a
different time. This makes "Subtitle & Description" unreliable.

So why not make "Subtitle Only" the default? Well there are also going to be
programmes which don't use the subtitle at all. At which point falling back
to checking the description is a reasonable compromise.

IMHO this small change could bring the behaviour of MythTV closer to the
expectations of users. Most users, and especially newbies, want a one-click
experience and this means choosing sensible default values. Changing this
might inconvenience a few people, but if I'm right then it will make life
easier for most*.

* Few users in U.S. will be affected as unique programids are mostly used
there instead of the duplicate check methods.

Does anyone have a different opinion, or can you point out the flaw in my
reasoning?
--
Stuart Morgan