[mythtv] what about mythweather in france ?

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 22:03:46 UTC 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 22:28:14 Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Yahoo! weather puts out their data in RSS format.  Given the wide usage of
> programs to download RSS, wouldn't that be an acceptable source?
>
> http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=FRXX0111&u=f

IMHO RSS implicitly implies that the data may be viewed/used in any way the
user chooses and even re-published in many cases assuming credit/copyright is
adhered to. (The second 'S' does stand for syndication after all).

Mythweather is little different from any other RSS viewer, maybe the only
difference is how the format of information is changed by mythweather prior
to display.

In the case of the BBC however they specifically allow the embedding of their
RSS feeds into third party websites, so I felt on pretty safe ground. They
only provide two RSS feeds. More data and a longer range forecast could be
scraped from the site but I felt it better not to be greedy and abuse their
service.

As we add more services to mythweather I think the need for source management
increases. Users in the UK are going to want the BBC as their first choice
for weather information, but a search for London might put the Yahoo London
result first in the list. If users can disable or prioritise the installed
scripts it would mean location searches would be faster and produce better
results.
--
Stuart Morgan