[mythtv] Theme Discrepancies

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Mon Sep 10 01:32:54 UTC 2007

Matt wrote:
> That's a fair opinion, but that also means that you'll have themes
> with various functionalities, features, etc.  I like the concept of
> lite themes versus full themes, but think about changes like the one
> that Daniel put in the other day:
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-commits/2007-September/032285.html

Seems to me (but I'm no expert) that Myth's themes need to be a more
solid construct than just a collection of XML that constantly needs
updating.

What about a theme version number as in each time theme functionality is
improved in the code, the version number gets bumped but backwards
compatibility is maintained.

This way, you can say something in the theme setup like "the theme
you've selected is version 1 while the highest supported is version 3,
some functionality may not be as expected".

At least then there'll be visible feedback which lets everyone know that
some themes may need updating.

Just my 2c.

Johan.