[mythtv] Who is currently working the firewire code for the Motorola 6100 series STB boxes?

Kelly Campbell kelly.a.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 01:02:02 UTC 2007

Encrypted 5C channels is one problem, but it's a pain to even get the
non-encrypted channels to work consistently. I'm not sure this is
actually a problem with the motorola's or if it's a linux driver/libs
issue. I've never tried capturing on MacOS or windows.

I've been able to get my firewire working mostly consistently by
building from svn for myth, libraw1394, libiec61883, and libavc1394.
They recently made a new release of libraw1394 which included a
segfault bugfix.

For me this is what I've found is required to get a stable connection:

1. The motorola box has to be powered off (power cable unplugged,
firewire is still live even if the) and then plugged back in with the
linux system online and firewire connected.

2. I have to run firewire_tester -B -n <node> until it's stable.

3. configure mythtv to connect in broadcast mode.

Once in a while it will lose stability for some reason, and just
running firewire_tester -B -n once or twice will usually fix it. If
not I have to reset the stb power.

Hope that helps.

-Kelly